Brian Acton and Jan Koum developed Whatsapp in 2009 which is the best messaging app. The messaging application is mainly known for its add free user interface. Both the creators were avoided advertising and self-promotion in the application. The first company to invest in Whatsapp was Sequoia Capital and they spent $8 million in 2011. Since then, it has grown to be one of the most used messaging applications across all mobile platforms.
Whatsapp killed MMS and SMS in 2011. Sending text messages, Gif Images, Videos, Documents, Audios, Whatsapp Profile Pictures, and Locations is now at our fingertips.The company was once known to be worth more than the 2014 budget for NASA. Almost 40% of the users are from countries like India and China.
What made Whatsapp Succesful?
No Ads! No Games! No Gimmicks! – This was their mantra. Whatsapp spent no money on marketing. They wanted to differentiate themselves from other applications which store user data. The only way Whatsapp earns money is through their subscription.
The Top 10 Facts about Whatsapp – You Didn’t Know
Below is the list of 10 Facts about Whatsapp who is about to hit the 1 billion mark of active users.
1. 27% of selfies are shared through Whatsapp. So, now you know what people do with those selfies that they take on their smartphones.
2. Whatsapp was acquired by Facebook for $19 billion. The entire Whatsapp team now works for Facebook.
3. However, Brian Acton and Jan Koum were rejected by Facebook.
4. Whatsapp only saves undelivered messages on their servers. So, you don’t have to worry about someone else reading your messages during data transmission.
5. 1 million users are added daily to Whatsapp. Facebook expects that the total number of users would soon equal to that of Facebook’s. Additionally, Whatsapp is also going to introduce a number of new features like video calling to combat rival services like Skype. Everybody would like to call up their loved ones with a video.
6. Out of 57 engineers at Whatsapp, 1 engineer is responsible for 17.5 million active users.
7. Whatsapp has the most number of active users in Asia.
8. Over 42 billion messages are sent each day. Most people prefer to Whatsapp each other than use the traditional method of text messaging.
9. The average time spent by a user on Whatsapp is 3 hours. That is as much as a normal active user normally spends on Facebook each day.
10. Whatsapp now lets you add 256 members in a group and also tag them in conversations.
These are the top 10 facts about WhatsApp…!!!
Whatsapp has seen a lot of competition from rivals like Line, Hike, WeChat, etc. Even Google has come up with an to stand against Whatsapp. It recently launched its new messaging app called Allo. It comes with tons of features like a personal assistant, stickers, offline messaging, etc.