Alexander The Great Facts | Facts about Alexander: Alexander III of Macedon, commonly known as Alexander the Great, was a king of the Ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon and a member of the Argead dynasty. Here are few interesting Alexander The Great Facts:
Alexander The Great Facts:
- Alexander The Great succeeded his father, Philip II, to the throne of Macedonia at the age of 20.
- He may have been bisexual, which in his time was not controversial.
- Alexander the Great was not much admired in his lifetime and was seen by many as a drunken tyrant.
- Fidel Castro named his 3 sons after Alexander the Great: Alexis, Alejandro, and Alexander.
- Alexander The Great died in the Nebuchadnezzar II Palace, in Babylon, at the age of 32. He was a king for just twelve years.
- King Alexander once held a drinking competition among his soldiers. When it got over, 42 people had died from the poisoning of alcohol.
Random: Have you seen the Top 10 Horror Movies ever Made?
Alexander – The Conquer:
- Alexander the Great was concurrently the King of Macedonia, Pharaoh of Egypt, King of Persia, and King of Asia.
- In 15 years of conquering, Alexander never lost a battle.
- Alexander the Great founded 70 cities, naming at least 20 after himself and one after his horse.
- He earned the epithet “the Great” due to his unparalleled success as a military commander.
- Alexander The Great began his reign by eliminating potential rivals to the throne, including his cousin, the former Amyntas IV, who was executed.
Do you Know? 10% of the world’s population is left-handed. Click Here for more Left-Handed Facts.
Alexander’s Death Facts:
- Julius Caesar, Octavian and Mark Antony, all made pilgrimages to Alexander the Great’s tomb in Alexandria.
- Alexander’s body was put in a gold anthropoid sarcophagus filled with honey, which was in turn placed in a gold casket.
- A 1998 article in the New England Magazine of Medicine attributed Alexander The Great’s death to typhoid fever involved by bowel perforation and ascending paralysis.
Do you know? Dolphins shed the top layer of the skin every two hours. For more Dolphin Facts click here.
Unknown Facts about Alexander:
- Aristotle tutored Alexander the Great until the age of 16.
- The Great Alexander married three times: Roxana, out of love; and the Persian princesses Stateira II and Parysatis II, for political reasons.
- After defeating the Persians, Alexander started dressing like them and took 2 Persian wives.
- Alexander The Great’s testament called for a transplant of populations from Asia and Europe to “bring the largest continent to common unity and friendship using intermarriage and family ties.”
- He had heterochromia iridium: one of his eyes was blue, and the other was brown.
- Alexander the Great, Mussolini, Napoleon, and Hitler, all had ailurophobia, the fear of cats.
- Alexander the Great washed his hair in saffron to keep it shiny and orange.
These are the various Interesting Alexander The Great Facts.
Read about JFK Facts as well.