Berlin Wall Facts | Unknown Facts about Berlin Wall: The Berlin Wall was a guarded concrete wall that physically and ideologically split Berlin from 1961 to 1989. Plenty of people tried to cross the wall but failed until its demolition. Here are few facts about the Berlin Wall:
Berlin Wall Facts
- The Berlin Wall was more than 140 kilometers (87 mi) long.
- David Bowie showed at the Berlin Wall in the year 1987 while East Germans assembled to listen behind. You could look them cheering and singing along from the other side.
- In 1989, Margaret Thatcher pleaded with Mikhail Gorbachev to keep the Berlin Wall up.
- The East German government demanded that the Berlin Wall was an “anti-fascist protective rampart” meant to dissuade aggressiveness from the West, but it was mostly to block their citizens from fleeing to West Berlin.
- The 9th of November is an important day in Germany. In the year 1918, Germany became a republic. Then in the year 1923, the Bier Hall Putsch in Munich. In 1938, Kristallnacht. In the year 1989, the Berlin Wall fell.
Berlin Wall Crossing Attempt
- In 1963, an East German soldier took a tank drove it through the Berlin Wall to escape.
- Before the Berlin Wall’s construction, 3.5 million East Germans defected from their country.
- In 1964, 57 people escaped from under the noses of East German border guards, through a tunnel under the Berlin Wall.
- Around 5,000 people tried to escape over the Berlin Wall, with an estimated death toll varying from 136 to more than 200.
- The last person who fell at the Berlin Wall tried to escape in a hot air balloon but fell to his death.
- On 15 August 1961, Mr. Conrad Schumann was the 1st East German border guard to escape by leaping the barbed wire to West Berlin.
Did You Know? Cupcakes can be as addictive as cocaine. For Cocaine Facts click here.
Unknown Facts about Berlin Wall
- A Swedish woman “married” the Berlin Wall in front of a few guests in the year 1979. She was frustrated when most of it was cut down in 1989.
- There is a section of the Berlin Wall in the men’s bathroom of the Main Street Station Casino in Las Vegas.
- The Berlin Wall was cut down by the citizens after an East German spokesman misspoke at a conference and mentioned immediate border crossing rights for every citizen.
- Usain Bolt owns a 3-ton segment of the Berlin Wall.
- Inside the Berlin Wall, there was a Church of Reconciliation. The GDR authorities ordered the church to be dynamited in the year 1985.
- The Berlin Wall’s actual destruction did not happen in 1989. It began in the summer of the year 1990 and was not completed until 1992.
These are the various Berlin Wall facts.
Did You Know? There’s a nude beach below the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.