Denmark Facts | Amazing Facts about Denmark: Denmark, officially the Kingdom of Denmark, is a Scandinavian country in the continent Europe and a sovereign state. The southernmost of the Nordic countries, it is southwest of Sweden and south of Norway and bordered to the south by Germany. Here are few interesting Facts about Denmark:
- In Denmark, it’s illegal to burn other countries flags, but not illegal to burn the Danish flag.
- Germany, Denmark, Iceland and other nations have formal rules about what a baby can be named.
- Iceland cut ties to Denmark and became an autonomous republic only in 1944.
- Denmark has been inhabited since around 12,500 BC, and agriculture has been evident since 3,900 BC.
- Bluetooth got its title from the second king of Denmark, King Harald Bluetooth.
- Many cinemas in Denmark show Danish subtitles on Danish films, because of difficulties understanding different dialects.
Did You Know? During WW2, the lights of Big Ben were dimmed so that German bombers could not use it for reference. For Big Ben Facts click here.
Unknown facts about Denmark
- Denmark imposes a tax of 150% on all new car purchases.
- There are more bicycles in Copenhagen, Denmark, than people.
- Denmark has more pigs than people.
- There is an underground safe in Denmark holding every Lego set ever.
- 99% of Denmark’s Jews survived the Holocaust because the Danish organized a massive evacuation to neutral Sweden.
- Denmark’s current flag pattern was 1st used in 1219. No other modern country has used its flag for so long.
Interesting Denmark Facts
- The less corrupted nations in the world are Denmark and New Zealand, according to the Corruptions Perception Index.
- Canada and Denmark have been struggling over an uninhabited island by leaving each other containers of alcohol and replacing their flags since the 1930s.
- The Danish monarchy is over 1000 years old, making it the oldest monarchy in Europe still existing today.
- Denmark holds the largest Fourth of July celebration outside the U.S.
- The unemployment rate in Denmark is currently so low (4.3%) that Danish companies are desperate to find skilled laborers to hire.
- In Denmark, if you are unmarried at the age of 25, you’ll get cinnamon tossed all over you on your birthday.
These are the various facts about Denmark.
Did You Know? The Golden Gate Bridge is the #1 suicide site in the world.