Golden Gate Bridge Facts | Interesting Facts: The Golden Gate Bridge is a suspension bridge crossing the Golden Gate Strait. The Strait is a one-mile-wide and one-point-seven-mile-long channel between San Francisco Bay and the Pacific Ocean. Here is a listing of facts about the Golden Gate Bridge:
Golden Gate Bridge Facts
- The Golden Gate Bridge project cost more than US$35 million, completing ahead of schedule and under budget.
- The cost to build a new Golden Gate Bridge today would be around US$1.2 billion.
- The Golden Gate Bridge has approximately 1,200,000 rivets.
- When the Golden Gate Bridge opened on May 27, 1937, the celebration lasted a week.
- The official color of the Golden Gate Bridge is called International Orange.
- The Golden Gate uses the largest bridge cables ever made, long enough to encircle the world more than three times at the equator.
Did You Know? Taking cocaine increases the chance of having a heart attack within the hour by 2,400%. For Cocaine Facts click here.
Golden Gate Bridge Suicide Facts
- The youngest reported suicide at the Golden Gate Bridge was a 5-year-old girl called Marilyn Demont.
- 2% of people who jump off the Bridge survive the fall. One man even jumped off just for “fun.”
- A San Francisco Highway Patrol Officer named Kevin Briggs has talked approximately 200 people out of the suicide on the Golden Gate Bridge since 1994.
- The founder of Victoria’s Secret, Roy Raymond, committed suicide by leaping off the Golden Gate Bridge in 1993.
- Every two weeks, on an average, someone jumps off the Golden Gate Bridge.
Did You Know? Hitler suffered chronic flatulence and used 28 different drugs to fight it. For Hitler Facts click here.
- There’s a nude beach below the Golden Gate Bridge in San Francisco.
- The U.S. military wanted the Golden Gate Bridge to be painted in stripes.
- During the 1970s, a suicide jumper from the Golden Gate Bridge left a note that read “I’m going to walk to the golden gate bridge. If one person smiles at me on the way, I will not jump.”
- The Golden Gate Bridge is the #1 suicide site in the world.
- Before the Golden Gate Bridge was built, the only possible short route between San Francisco and Marin County was by boat.
These are the various Golden Gate Bridge Facts.
Did You Know? Over 500 girls have been named and called Hermione since the first ‘Harry Potter’ movie came out. For Harry Potter Facts click here.