Holocaust Facts | Unknown Facts about The Holocaust: The Holocaust also referred to as the Shoah was a genocide in which some six million European Jews were killed by Adolf Hitler’s Nazi Germany, and the World War II collaborators with the Nazis. Here are few unknown Holocaust Facts:
- About a 3rd of all Jewish people alive at that time were murdered in the Holocaust.
- The only Jewish descendants spared by the Nazis where those with grandparents who converted to Christianity before the founding of the German Empire (1871).
- Hitler planned to collect thousands of Jewish artefacts to build a “Museum of An Extinct Race” after the war.
- British troops liberated Anne Frank’s concentration camp just weeks after her death.
- Dachau, the first NAZI concentration camp in Germany, opened six years before WWII.
- Before the Holocaust, Hitler gave the U.S., Great Britain, and many other nations a chance to take in Jewish refugees. They refused.
Did you know? A bolt of Lightning is five times hotter than the surface of the sun. For more Lightning Facts click here.
People Who Helped:
- Witold Pilecki, a Polish soldier, proposed to be imprisoned in Auschwitz to gather information, escape and let the world know about the Holocaust.
- During WW2, Japan received Jewish refugees and rejected the resulting Nazi German protests.
- During the Holocaust, Jewish boxer Salamo Arouch was imprisoned at Auschwitz. He was forced to fight fellow prisoners; the losers were sent to the gas chambers or shot. He survived over two years and 200 fights until the camp was liberated.
- The Mosque of Paris helped Jews escape the Nazis by giving them Muslim IDs during WW2.
- During WW2, two Polish doctors saved 8,000 Jews from the Holocaust by faking a typhus epidemic that stopped the Nazis entering their town.
- The Leica Camera firm helped hundreds of Jews before the Holocaust by hiring and sending them abroad.
Did you know? Japan suffers around 1,500 earthquakes almost every year. For more Earthquake Facts click here.
Unknown Facts about Holocaust:
- In 1945, Eisenhower predicted that people would try to deny the Holocaust, so he urged the press to come.
- Four of Freud’s sisters died during the Holocaust in Nazi concentration camps.
- The industry that invented Zyklon B, the gas that was used to kill millions of Jews in the Holocaust, still exists as a pest control company.
- Holocaust denial is either implicitly or explicitly a crime in 17 countries, including Germany and Austria.
- In October 1941, more than 50,000 Jews were killed by Romanian troops in what is now known as the “Odessa massacre.”
- A Muslim family that saved the Jews during the Holocaust was later saved by Israel during the genocide in Bosnia and converted to Judaism.
Did you Know? George Washington penned somewhere between 18,000 and 20,000 letters in his lifetime. For George Wahington Facts click here.
- At least 1.1 million Jewish children were murdered during the Holocaust.
- More than 870,000 Jews were killed at Treblinka with a staff of just 150 people.
- As a result of the Holocaust, around 20% of Italian Jews lost their lives.
- The Mormon Church baptised 380,000 Holocaust victims posthumously, offending and sparked controversy among many Jewish groups.
- 99% of Denmark’s Jews survived the Holocaust because the Danish organised a massive evacuation to neutral Sweden.
- About one in six Jews killed in the Holocaust died at Auschwitz.
These are the various Holocaust Facts we should know.
For more WTF Facts click here.