Horse Facts | Amazing Facts about Horses: The horse is one of two extant subspecies of Equus ferus. It is an odd-toed ungulate animal belonging to the taxonomic family Equidae. The horse has developed over the past 45 to 55 million years from a little multi-toed creature, Eohippus, into the large, single-toed creature of today. Here are few amazing facts about Horses:
- The highest race horse speed ever registered was 43.97 mph (70.76 km/h).
- An individual horse has a peak power output of 14.9 horsepower.
- Darwin suggested the appendix may have been practiced for digesting leaves. This theory is supported by Koala and horse appendixes which do just that.
- The modern British soldiers have more horses than tanks.
- California banned the sale of horse meat for human consumption in 1998.
- Over 8 million horses died in WW1. Of those who lasted, most were sent to Belgian butchers, being regarded as unfit for any other purpose.
Interesting facts about Horse
- Horses can sleep standing.
- A horse’s foot is technically a single toe, so they run on their toes.
- The horses in Olympic equestrian events have their passports and fly business class.
- Animals, including horses, pigs, and even insects, could be tried and sentenced for crimes for several centuries across many parts of Europe.
- Dogs have 13 blood types whereas horses have 8, cows have nine while Humans only have 4.
- In the UK, all the horses, donkeys, and ponies must have a horse passport.
Did You Know? Capuchin monkeys show biases against people who deny help to others. For Monkey Facts click here.
Unknown Horse Facts
- The tiniest horse in the world is just 17 inches tall and weighs 57 lb (26 kg).
- The practice of consuming horseflesh is called hippophagy.
- The Horses can be trained to use symbols to tell humans what they want, a study found.
- Horses cannot throw up.
- In the early 20th century, horses were producing so much pollution with their poop that the cars were seen as the “green” alternative.
- McDonald’s drive-thru staff won’t attend people if they come on horseback.
Other facts about Horse
- The Roman Emperor named Gaius Caligula made his horse a senator.
- Traffic in central London travels at the same speed as horse-drawn carriages a century ago.
- The Horse Head used in the movie “The Godfather” was real.
- Horses killed more people in the country Australia from 2000 to 2013 than all venomous animals combined.
- Riding a horse while intoxicated is admitted a traffic offense in Colorado, U.S.
- In 1923, a jockey experienced a fatal heart attack, but his horse finished and won the race, making him the first and only rider to win a race after death.
These are the various Horse Facts.
Did You Know? The Emperor Penguin can sink to depths of over 500m and stay under water for up to 27 minutes.