Israel Facts | 26 Interesting Facts about Israel: Israel, a Middle Eastern country on the Mediterranean Sea, is regarded by Jews, Christians, and Muslims as the biblical Holy Land. Here are few interesting Israel Facts which we should know:
- Arabic is an official language in Israel along with Hebrew.
- All Pakistani passports bear the writing “This passport is valid for all countries of the World except Israel.”
- At least 400 descendants of Nazis have converted to Judaism and moved to Israel.
- Robert F. Kennedy was shot by a Palestinian because of his strong support for Israel.
- In 1997, an Israeli court charged and prosecuted a Jew for depicting Islam’s prophet Muhammad as a pig.
- There’s a 9/11 Memorial in Israel constructed of steel from the remains of the WTC.
- The world record for the most passengers on a commercial flight is 1,088, by El Al, Israel’s national airline.
Did You Know? India has the world’s lowest meat consumption by a person. For more India Facts click Here.
Unknown Facts about Israel:
- Israel is the only country in the world to draft women into Military service.
- You can purchase hummus flavoured ice cream in Israel.
- Dr Ruth, the famous sex therapist, was once a sniper in the Israeli army.
- The movie “Borat”, A huge hit in Israel, in part, because Borat’s “Kazakh” lines were all actually in Hebrew.
- They discovered 2,000-year-old seeds in 1963 inside an old jar in Israel. They planted the seeds in 2005 and a tree that had been extinct for over 1800 years sprouted.
- Israel is so small that you can run through it from west to east in 2 hours and from top to bottom in 9 days.
Did you know? Antarctica is around 1.3 times larger than Europe. For more Antartica Facts click here.
Israel and Judaism:
- A Muslim family saved Jews during the Holocaust was later saved by Israel during the genocide in Bosnia and converted to Judaism.
- Every year, 1,000 letters arrive in Jerusalem, Israel, addressed to God.
- All Jewish people between 18 and 26 years old are entitled to a free 10-day trip to Israel.
- Anwar Sadat made Egypt the first Arab nation to achieve peace with Israel in 1979. For this, Sadat won the Nobel Peace Prize, the Arab League suspended Egypt, and assassinated Sadat.
- Neturei Karta, a Jewish supports Palestine and calls for a peaceful dismantling of the State of Israel.
Did you know? There is a 6000-year-old tree in South Africa that has a bar inside. For more South Africa Facts click here.
Interesting Israel Facts:
- Israel offered Einstein the Presidency post which he politely declined.
- The Hoopoe is the national bird of Israel.
- The U.S. gave Israel US$3.1 billion in foreign aid in 2014. That’s almost US$10 per American citizen.
- Jerusalem, Israel, has been defeated twice, besieged 23 times, attacked 52 times, captured and recaptured 44 times and it’s one of the world’s oldest cities.
- The primary founder and the first Prime Minister of Israel, David Ben-Gurion, was an atheist.
- Prostitution is illegal in Israel, yet 12,000 women work in the sex trade, along with roughly 1,000 men.
- The Jerusalem syndrome is a group of psychological phenomena triggered by a visit to Jerusalem, Israel.
- Israel banned Underweight models from showing their fight against anorexia.
These are the various Israel Facts we all should know.
For more WTF Facts click here.