JFK Facts | Interesting Facts about John F Kennedy: John F. Kennedy, commonly referred to by his initials JFK, was an American politician who acted as the 35th President of the United States. Here are few interesting JFK facts:
- JFK’s application to Harvard was just five sentences long.
- JFK has been the only Roman Catholic U.S. president.
- Larry King hit into John F. Kennedy’s car in the year 1958. JFK said he’d forget the whole thing if the King promised to vote for him when he ran for president.
- JFK’s last child, Patrick, died 2 days after birth in August 1963.
- JFK is credited as the founder of the U.S.-Israeli military alliance.
- John F. Kennedy had such concerns regarding the space program’s high cost that he suggested partnering with the Soviet Union on a joint voyage to the moon.
Random Facts: 3.2 million people visit the Statue of Liberty every year.
JFK Assassination Facts:
- In 1999, the U.S. government paid the Zapruder family US$16 million for the film of JFK’s assassination.
- Aldous Huxley, C.S. Lewis, and John F. Kennedy died on the same day.
- The CIA is supposed to release the JFK assassination records to the public no later than October 26, 2017.
- A 62% majority of Americans believe that John F. Kennedy was killed in a conspiracy and that there was an official cover-up.
- JFK, had he lived, would have acquired a fortune from his father assessed at US$1 billion in today’s dollars, adjusted for inflation.
Random Facts: Recycling one aluminium can save enough energy to listen to a full album on your iPod. For more Recycling Facts click here.
JFK as President:
- During his term as a Congressman and later as the U.S. President, John F Kennedy donated all of his salaries to charity.
- In the year 1961, a little girl wrote a letter to Kennedy asking if Santa Claus was OK during the Soviet’s nuclear experiment at the North Pole. Kennedy wrote back to her saying that he spoke with the Santa and that he’s okay.
- In 1962, John F Kennedy secretly installed a taping system in the White House.
- After John F. Kennedy’s WW2 PT boat had been sunk, he wrote a message on a coconut asking for help. It worked. Kennedy kept the coconut with him, and it became a Presidential paperweight.
- JFK bought 1,200 Cuban cigars just hours before signing the embargo against Cuba.
- As a Senator, JFK had been opposed to the Apollo’s space program and wanted to terminate it.
Did you know? George Washington is also known as the “Father of the American Foxhound,” and kept more than 30 of the dogs. For more George Washington Facts click Here.
Unknown Facts about JFK:
- As a president, he asked the Congress to create the Peace Corps.
- He was the 1st first person born in the 20th century to serve as U.S. President.
- JFK died younger than any other United States president to date.
- The White House Correspondent’s Dinner was men-only until 1962 when JFK refused to attend unless women did.
- JFK was the 1st President to have been a Boy Scout.
- Aspiring actor Leonard Nimoy once gave a cab ride to future president John F Kennedy.
- John F. Kennedy won the Pulitzer Prize in the year 1957, although his aide Theodore Sorensen ghostwrote much of the book.
These are the various JFK Facts.
Read about Dolphin Facts as well.