Lion Facts | Interesting Facts about Majestic Lions: The lion is one of the big cats in the genus Panthera and a member of the family Felidae. The commonly used term African lion collectively denotes the several subspecies in Africa. Here are few interesting Lion Facts:
- With some males exceeding 250 kg (550 lb) in weight, the Lion is the second-largest living cat after the tiger.
- In the wild, male lions live for 10 to 14 years.
- The roar of a lion can be heard from 8 kilometres (5.0 miles) away.
- The lion from MGM is called “Leo the Lion”.
- During a mating bout, lions have sex 20 to 40 times a day for a couple of days.
- Lions cuddle to build and manage relationships with one another.
Did you know? Israel is the only country in the world to draft women into Military service. For more Israel Facts click here.
- The lioness does 90% of the hunting.
- A “leopon” results from the crossing of a male leopard with a lioness. The head is similar to that of a lion while the rest of the body carries similarities to leopards.
- Lionesses find lions with darker manes much attractive.
Did you know? Dinosaurs often swallowed large rocks. These stones stayed in the stomach and helped them grind up food. For more Dinosaur Facts click here.
Interesting Facts about Lions:
- In 2005, an Ethiopian girl was brutally beaten by seven men when a pride of lions chased them away. They even stayed with her until help arrived.
- A porcupine can fight off a pride of lions.
- Ostrich kicks can kill a human and even a lion.
- Cats, from lions and tigers right down to domestic felines, cannot taste anything sweet.
- Mountain Lions will bury and leave their prey, then return to it when they are hungry.
- There are more statues of lions in the world than there are real wild lions.
These are the various facts about Lions.