Pollution Facts | Facts about the dangerous Pollution: Pollution is the introduction of contaminants into the natural environment that causes adverse change. Here are the lists of various pollution facts:
- Americans occupy 5% of the world’s population, and yet, produce 30% of the world’s waste and use 25% of the world’s resources.
- While Beijing’s pollution problem is more famous, the world’s most polluted city is the New Delhi, India.
- Scientists dip tampons in the rivers to test for pollution.
- When we account for the pollution costs associated with gasoline, it costs an extra US$3.80 per gallon.
- The five worst cities in the U.S. for air pollution are all in California.
- 40% of Americans are breathing unhealthy air, according to a report by the American Lung Association.
- For every one million tons of oil shipped, about 1 ton is spilled.
Air Pollution Facts:
- Breathing the air in Mumbai, India, for just one day is equivalent to smoking 100 cigarettes.
- During London’s “Great Smog” of 1952, between 4,000 and 12,000 people died in a few days due to air pollution.
- One in every eight deaths on earth are linked to air pollution, a study says.
- Nuclear power prevented an average of over 1.8 million deaths between 1971-2009 as a result of lower air pollution from reduced coal usage according to NASA.
- Almost a third of San Francisco’s air pollution comes from China.
- Air pollution causes you lung cancer and is also linked to an increased risk for bladder cancer.
- Air pollution in China increases snowfall in California.
- The Taj Mahal’s white marble exterior is gradually turning yellow due to high levels of air pollution.
- Breathing the air of Beijing has the same health risks as smoking 21 cigarettes a day.
Water Pollution Facts:
- Nearly 700 millions of Chinese people drink contaminated water.
- Polluted water kills children at a rate equivalent to a fully laden jumbo jet crashing every four hours.
- Fish in polluted lakes lose their sense of smell.
- A child dies every 8 seconds from contaminated water.
- Lake Karachay in Russia is the most radioactive and polluted lake in the world.
- The groundwater of 90% of the Chinese cities is polluted.
- 3.4 million people die each year from water-related causes.
Electronic and Plastic Wastes:
- Thousands of marine creatures die by mistakenly swallowing plastic bags that resemble jellyfish.
- 14 billion pounds (6B Kg.) of garbage are dumped into the ocean every year. Most of it is plastic.
- In 2012, Humans produced over 49 million tons of electronic waste.
- Americans throw away 2.5 million plastic bottles per hour. Each one takes 500 years to decompose.
Weird facts on Pollution:
- Human pollution has caused the average length of polar bears’ penises to shrink.
- Pollution kills more than 1 million seabirds and 100 million mammals every year.
- A study found that nearly 16,000 American babies are born each year prematurely at least in part because of air pollution.
- The Great Wall of China is not visible from space, but China’s air pollution is.
- A third of humanity, including 60% of Europeans and 80% of North Americans, live in such light polluted areas that the Milky Way is not visible at night.
- In the years of 20th century, horses were creating so much pollution with their poop that cars were seen as the “green” alternative.
- About a third of male fish in British rivers are changing sex due to pollution, especially from contraceptive pills, the research found.
Pollution is a dangerous thing ever created by Man. Start from yourself, Stop polluting.
Thanks for visiting our site.