Roman Facts | Unknown Facts about the Romans: The Roman civilisation is the most popular civilisation in the history of the world. Here are few Roman facts which will make you say WTF.
- Life expectancy in Ancient Rome was from 20 to 30 years.
- The inhabitants of ancient Rome had a toilet god, a sewer goddess, and a god of excrement.
- Early Christians were called “the atheists” by Romans as they didn’t pay tribute to pagan gods.
- Women in ancient Rome wore the sweat of Gladiators to improve their beauty and complexion.
- Roman charioteers earned far more than even the best-paid footballers and international sports stars of today, according to academic research.
- Most Romans avoided being cruel to their slaves. They used bonuses and branding to improve the productivity, just like modern employers.
- The Romans used urine to whiten their teeth.
- Ancient Romans celebrated “Saturnalia”, a festival in which slaves and their masters would switch places.
- Paris was originally a Roman city called “Lutetia”.
- After the fall of Roman Empire, the technology to make the concrete was lost for about 1000 years.
- The Pyramids of Giza were older to the ancient Romans than Ancient Rome is ancient to us.
- In 86 AD, the Colosseum was loaded with water to stage a full naval battle.
- Two Roman dams in Spain are still being used after 1900 years.
- Ancient Rome had a 4-story-tall shopping mall with 150 shops and offices.
- The Statue Of Liberty was inspired By The Roman Pagan Goddess Libertas.
- If Ancient Rome’s Colosseum were built today, it would cost about US$380 million.
- In the first century AD, the polar bears fought seals in Roman amphitheatres flooded with water.
- The Ancient Rome civilisation began on the Italian Peninsula as early as the 8th century BC.
- In Ancient Rome, while suicide was socially acceptable at first, it was later deemed a crime against the state due to its economic costs.
- Ancient Rome in the 150 CE had less income variation than the U.S. today.
- Ancient Romans ran cold aqueduct water in pipes through their houses in an early form of air conditioning.
- In Ancient Rome, the punishment for killing one’s father was the death penalty, consisting of being sewn up in a sack along with a viper, a dog, and a cock.
- Ancient Romans used the sponge on a stick to clean themselves after pooping and shared it with everyone.
- Ancient Rome was eight times more densely populated than modern New York.
- The Salema Porgy is a species of fish that can cause hallucinations when eaten. In Ancient Rome it was consumed as a recreational drug.
- At its peak, Roman Empire comprised only about 12% of the world’s population.
- Classical Greek culture, which flourished during the 5th to 4th centuries BC, had a powerful influence on the Roman Empire and provided the foundation of modern Western culture.
- In 2012, divers discovered a 2,000-year-old Roman shipwreck that was so well preserved even the food was intact in its storage jars.
- In Ancient Rome, women would consume turpentine to make their urine smell sweet like roses.
- The Roman Empire was not the largest empire in history. It was only the 28th largest.
Interesting Roman Facts:
- The wars between Romans and Persians lasted about 721 years, the longest conflict in human history.
- Urine was used in Ancient Rome to wash clothes.
- Flamingo tongues were a delicacy in ancient Rome.
- Julius Caesar was pronounced ‘YOO-lee-us KYE-sahr’ in the old Rome.
- Nero, the Roman Emperor, married a man, one of his freedmen, taking the role of the bride.
- Roman Gladiators rarely fought to the death or against animals and were considered celebrities of their time.
- Ancient Greeks and Romans often bought slaves with salt.
- During the 7th century B.C., ancient Roman “vestal virgins” were required to keep their hymens intact as proof of virginity until age 30 or they would be buried alive.
- In the old Rome, it was considered a sign of leadership to be born with a crooked nose.
- The Roman Emperor Gaius Caligula made his own horse a senator.
These are the most impressive Roman Facts we should all know.
Get to know about Apple Facts as well. Thanks for visiting our website.