Russia Facts | Interesting Facts about Russia: Russia, the world’s largest nation, borders European and Asian countries as well as the Pacific and Arctic oceans. Its landscape ranges from tundra and forests to subtropical beaches. Here are few interesting Russia Facts we all should know:
- 77% of Russia is made up of Siberia.
- Gorbachev taped an album of Russian romantic ballads in 2009.
- A third of all Russians believe the Sun revolves around the Earth.
- Russia has over 8400 nuclear weapons, more than any other country.
- Lake Karachay in Russia is the most radioactive and polluted lake in the world.
- The first Russian child to receive the vaccine against smallpox was called “Vaccinov,” given a pension and observed all his life.
- Japan and Russia still haven’t signed a peace treaty to end World War II due to the Kuril Islands dispute.
Did you know? Leonardo Da Vinci was the first to explain why the sky is blue. For more Leonardo Da Vinci Facts click here.
Russia – Alcohol Facts:
- Each Russian consumes 18 litres (4.8 US gal) of alcohol per year, doubling what experts consider dangerous.
- There are over 500,000 alcohol-related deaths in Russia each year.
- In Russia, during times of high inflation or economic disparity, teachers can be paid in Vodka.
- The word “vodka” comes from the Russian word “voda” that means “water”.
- The beer was not considered an alcoholic beverage in Russia until 2013.
- 25% Russians die before reaching the age of 55, compared to just 1% in the U.S., and Vodka is to blame.
Did you know? The Titanic’s architect, Thomas Andrews, was among those who died in the sinking. For more Titanic Facts click here.
Unknown Facts about Russia:
- In Russia, it’s Illegal to tell your kids Gay People Exist.
- A Russian woman in the 1700s gave birth to 16 pairs of twins, seven sets of triplets and four sets of quadruplets in just 40 years with the same man.
- The U.S. purchased Alaska from Russia for just US$7.2 million in 1867.
- It is a legal offence to drive a dirty car in Russia.
- Foxes are domesticated like dogs by Russian scientists since 1959.
- 20% of the world’s unfrozen fresh water is in a single lake: Russia’s Lake Baikal.
- In 1600, a volcano eruption in Peru caused a famine that killed about 2 million people in Russia.
Did you know? There’s a 9/11 Memorial in Israel constructed of steel from the remains of the WTC. For more Israel Facts click here.
Interesting Russia Facts:
- In Russia, there are nine million more Women than men.
- It is believed Russia has at least 15 secret cities with their names, and locations unknown.
- Apple Is Worth More Than The Entire Russian Stock Market.
- There’s a museum in Russia that hires cats to protect its artworks against rodents.
- The oldest plant to be regenerated has been grown in Russia from 32,000-year-old seeds.
- In Russia, there’s a “Temple of all Religions” which serves as a peaceful combination of different cultures.
- In 1908 the Imperial Russian Olympic Team arrived in London 12 days too late for the games because they were not using the Gregorian calendar yet.
Did you know? George Washington is worshipped as the God by Japanese Shinto priests in Hawaii. For more George Washington Facts click here.
Russian Leaders Facts:
- There was a “Beard Tax” in the country Russia, during Peter the Great’s Reign, paid by anyone who had a beard.
- Stalin didn’t start learning Russian until he was 8. His mother tongue was Georgian.
- Stalin was fond of American cowboy movies.
- The Russian Mayor of Megion, West Siberia, banned excuses.
- Wealthy Russians rent fake ambulances to beat Moscow’s traffic.
- Homosexuality and abortion were decriminalised in Russia under Lenin’s leadership.
These are the various facts about Russia.
For more World Facts click here.