Switzerland Facts | Fascinating Facts about Switzerland: Switzerland is a mountainous Central European country, home to numerous lakes, villages and the high peaks of the Alps. Its cities contain old quarters, with landmarks like Capital Bern’s Zytglogge clock tower and Lucerne’s wooden chapel bridge. Here are few interesting Switzerland Facts:
- Switzerland gave women the right to vote in the year 1971.
- The Longest Tunnel in the World is 57 km long and goes from Switzerland to Italy underneath The Alps. It took 17 Years to Build.
- Switzerland has the second highest life expectancy in the world with 83.4 years.
- 170 Swiss troops accidentally invaded Liechtenstein in 2007 after getting lost during a training exercise.
- Before the Columbian Exchange, there were no oranges in Florida, no bananas in Ecuador, no potatoes in Ireland, no coffee in Colombia, no pineapples in Hawaii, no rubber trees in Africa, no tomatoes in Italy, and no chocolate in Switzerland.
- Switzerland watches its airspace around the clock but only intercepts illegal flights during office hours.
Did you Know? China has many internet users on the mobile devices than on PCs. For more Mobile Phone Facts click here.
Interesting Facts about Switzerland:
- The average adult in Switzerland has a net worth of US$513,000.
- The Swiss own more guns per head than the Iraqis.
- Büsingen am Hochrhein, commonly known as Büsingen, does Swiss territory entirely surround a German town.
- In 2015, Apple Inc. was worth higher than Switzerland, Sweden or Nigeria.
- Switzerland sent 31 soldiers to Afghanistan in 2003, its first military deployment since 1815.
Did You Know? Twins can have different Dads. For more Twins Facts click here.
Unknown Switzerland Facts:
- In Switzerland, some people still regularly eat dog and cat meat. It’s legal in the country.
- Because guinea pigs are prone to loneliness, it’s illegal in Switzerland to own just one.
- Switzerland joined the United Nations only in the year 2002.
- The ‘Heil Hitler’ salute is legal in Switzerland as long as it’s an expression of personal opinion, not for propaganda purposes.
- Declawing cats are legal in most U.S. states but banned in at least 22 countries including Germany, Finland, Switzerland, Australia, New Zealand and Japan.
These are the various Switzerland Facts.
Did You Know? 160,000 U.S. children miss school every day due to a fear of bullying. For more Bullying Facts click here. STOP BULLYING!!!