Venezuela Facts | Amazing facts about Venezuela: Venezuela is a country on the northern coast of South America with diverse natural attractions. Along with its Caribbean coast are tropical resort islands including Isla de Margarita and the Los Roques archipelago. Here are the most interesting Venezuela Facts:
- Venezuela’s name derives from the Italian word “Veneziola” (little Venice). Explorer Amerigo Vespucci saw native stilt houses built in Lake Maracaibo, reminding him of Venice.
- While most of the Amazon rainforest is in Brazil (60%), it’s also in Peru (13%), Colombia (10%), Venezuela, Ecuador, Bolivia and three countries.
- Venezuela had the world’s highest inflation rate in 2015 with over 141%.
- Venezuela ranks 7th in the world’s list of nations with the most number of species.
- There is a persistent storm at Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela. Lightning storms occur for about 10 hours a night, 140 to 160 nights a year, for a total of about 1.2 million lightning discharges per year.
- Venezuela had the world’s fourth-highest GDP per capita in 1950, trailing only the United States, Switzerland, and New Zealand.
Did you know? Russia has over 8400 nuclear weapons, more than any other country. For more Russia Facts click here.
Venezuela Leaders Facts:
- Bolivia was named after Simon Bolivar, a military leader who led Colombia, Venezuela, Ecuador, Peru, Panama and Bolivia to independence.
- In 2012, Venezuela’s President Hugo Chavez rewarded his 3,000,000th Twitter follower, a 19-year old girl, with a new home.
- Hugo Chávez, as president of Venezuela, hosted a TV show every Sunday from 1999 to 2012.
- Over 1.5 million Venezuelans –4% to 6% of the country’s population– left Venezuela following Hugo Chavez’s Bolivarian Revolution.
- The South American revolutionary Simon Bolivar was, at various times, president of Bolivia, Colombia, Ecuador, Peru and Venezuela.
Did you know? Leo Da Vinci was almost put to death for sodomy. When no witnesses came forward, his case was dismissed. For more Leonardo Da Vinci Facts click here.
Interesting Facts about Venezuela:
- The Angel Falls in the country Venezuela is 17 times higher than Niagara.
- In 1863, Venezuela became the first modern country to abolish the death penalty for all crimes.
- 75% of the population of Venezuela lost at least 19 pounds in 2016 due to a lack of proper nutrition amid an economic crisis.
- After Hurricane Cuba, Katrina offered medical aid and Venezuela gasoline plus US$5 million. The U.S. rejected them all.
- Since 2007, an unfinished skyscraper in Caracas, Venezuela, has been re-appropriated by squatters into a vast ‘vertical slum’ which now includes grocery stores, hairdressers, and an unlicensed dentist.
Did you know? Around a dozen of couples were honeymooning on the Titanic. For more Titanic Facts click here.
- Oil is affordable than water in Venezuela and Saudi Arabia.
- There’s a nightclub inside a prison in Venezuela.
- In Venezuela, 4 in 100,000 adult males opt for penis enlargement surgery, the second highest rate in the world.
- Canada has the third largest oil reserves of any country in the world after Saudi Arabia and Venezuela.
- Venezuela was the cruellest place on Earth in 2015, where one person was murdered every 21 minutes.
These are the various Venezuela Facts.
For WTF Fun Facts click here.