Vietnam War Facts | Unknown Facts about Vietnam War Facts: The Vietnam War is also known as the Second Indochina War. The war that occurred in Vietnam, Laos, and Cambodia from 1 November 1955 to the fall of Saigon on 30 April 1975. Here are few unknown facts about Vietnam War:
Vietnam War Facts:
- Vietnamese don’t call it as the “Vietnam War,” they call it the “Resistance War Against America.”
- President Jimmy Carter pardoned all Vietnam draft dodgers on his second day in office.
- The founder of FedEx served two tours of duty in the Vietnam War and tonnes a Bronze Star, Silver Star, and two Purple Hearts.
- Nguyen Ngoc Loan, the killer from the famous Vietnam War photo, opened a pizza joint in Virginia after the war.
- In 1973, Le Duc Tho became the first and only person ever to refuse a Nobel Peace Prize voluntarily. He negotiated a ceasefire in the Vietnam War, but peace was not yet established.
Did you know? There is a persistent storm at Lake Maracaibo, Venezuela. Lightning storms occur for about 10 hours a night, 140 to 160 nights a year, for a total of about 1.2 million lightning discharges per year. For more Venezuela Facts click here.
American Army during Vietnam War:
- The Gulf War cost each American US$306 while Vietnam was US$2,204 per person. The Korean War cost US$2,266 and WW2, US$20,388 per person.
- During the Vietnam War, American troops would eat small amounts of C4 plastic explosive to get high.
- U.S. forces in Vietnam employed over 5,000 ‘war dogs’.
- During the war, the United States military plied its soldiers with speed, steroids, and painkillers to help them handle extended combat. From 1966 to 1969, they used 225 million tablets of stimulants.
- The U.S. dropped more than two million tonnes of bombs on Laos from 1964 to the year 1973 during the Vietnam War. That’s similar to a planeload every 8 minutes for nine years.
Did you know? Sand from the Sahara is blown by the wind all the way to the Amazon, recharging its minerals. The desert fertilises the rainforest. For more Amazon Rainforest Facts click here.
Unknown Vietnam War Facts:
- A Vietnam War Sniper crawled for three days across 2000m of open field, killed a general with one shot, then crawled back.
- 39% of U.S. casualties in the Vietnam War occurred through friendly fire.
- The President Richard Nixon excused a lieutenant, who gathered 70-80 Vietnamese civilians into a ditch and murdered them during the My Lai massacre, from his sentence of house arrest.
- After the Vietnam war, farmers recycled thousands of external fuel tanks from U.S. aircraft to create river boats and canoes.
- During the Vietnam War, Hugh Thompson Jr. orders his men to turn their guns on American soldiers to protect Vietnamese civilians and helped put a stop to the My Lai Massacre.
These are the various Vietnam War Facts.
For more WTF facts click here.